MedStar Georgetown University Hospital is a not-for-profit, acute-care teaching and research hospital with 609 beds located in Northwest Washington, D.C. Founded in the Jesuit principle of cura personalis—caring for the whole person—MedStar Georgetown is committed to offering a variety of innovative diagnostic and treatment options within a trusting and compassionate environment.
MedStar Georgetown’s centers of excellence include neurosciences, transplant, cancer and gastroenterology. Along with Magnet® nurses, internationally recognized physicians, advanced research and cutting-edge technologies, MedStar Georgetown’s healthcare professionals have a reputation for medical excellence and leadership.
General Summary of Position:
The individual in this position provides assistance to patients in the department. The individual is responsible for coordinating all the functions and activities related to patient access including, but not limited to: front end customer service, accurate and complete patient registration in the approved organization electronic scheduling and billing systems, appointment scheduling, insurance verification, accurate Time-of-Service (TOS) payment processing, and the balancing of all TOS payments using the approved organization electronic scheduling and billing systems. These functions are performed in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations and Georgetown University Hospital’s (GUH) philosophy, policies, procedures and standards.
- High School graduate or GED required.
- Associate’s Degree preferred.
- One-year experience in a customer service environment required; medical/clinical office experience preferred. Previous experience with computerized scheduling and registration systems.
- Working knowledge of IDX / GE Centricity Business preferred.
- Previous experience with an electronic health record system desired, especially GE Centricity Clinical or Aria.
- Excellent interpersonal communication and customer service skills, and good telephone etiquette.
- Knowledge of medical terminology.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to deal effectively and professionally with a variety of different individuals.
- Ability to perform in a high-pressure environment.
- Ability to organize and prioritize work.